Pikes Peak United Methodist Church
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Come,Love,Grow,Share

Our Doors Opened in 1901-  Here is our story...

This body of believers called Pikes Peak United Methodist Church began as a Mission Sunday School and originally met in the old city hall in Colorado City, at the corner of 29th street and Colorado Avenue. This faith community was incorporated as the First Congregational Church of Colorado City, on December 29, 1901. Reverend Arthur Fraser was the initial supply pastor of the young church, since he was also the pastor of Hillside Congregational Church in Colorado Springs.

On May 4, 1902, Rev. Frank Hullinger accepted the call to serve the church. When he began, there were 13 members on the rolls, but 5 were removed the following week. But within the first year Rev. Hullinger added 89 members to the rolls; Sunday school grew from 42 to 120.

It became obvious that a building of their own would be needed, so they began taking steps in August of 1903 to purchase two lots on which to build the new church. General William J. Palmer donated initial working capital of $100, and a short time later, the Congregational Church Building Society (CCBS) provided a $1200 grant, followed by a $800 loan. Architect A.J. Smith provided plans for the church at no cost.

Construction began on the new church building in May of 1904 at what was previously known as the corner of Lincoln Avenue and 10th Street of Old Colorado City. Today this corner is known as Pikes Peak Avenue and 30th Street. The original building consisted of the main auditorium and six other rooms on the lower level. The church building cost $7000.

The cornerstone of the original church was laid on September 15, 1904 at 4:00 PM with the Rev. James B. Gregg of Colorado Springs delivering the address. The cornerstone box reportedly contains a brief history of the church, a list of officers and members, members of the various societies of the church, a copy of the church seal, a photograph of the pastor and of Old City Hall, a postal card with a sketch of the church, a copy of The Old Colorado City Iris and the Colorado Springs Gazette, and a church manual along with many other items.

The church was furnished with fine circular oak pews from a church in Gillette, a mining town in Cripple Creek District which folded because of the failures of the mines (when the church sanctuary was remodeled in 1957, the pews were given to the church in Rush, Co).

As different pastors answered the call, and times of depression, war, and prosperity affected our society, so too was the little church Pikes Peak affected. While space here does not allow, it must be noted that the name of the church changed many times. So, in 1917 our church became known as the Pilgrim Congregational Church. In 1925 the church was purchased by Colorado Conference of the Evangelical Church, and it became Trinity Evangelical Church. Then in 1968, when the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with the Methodist Church, and since Trinity Methodist Church already existed, the name was changed one more time to, Pikes Peak United Methodist Church.

Along with name changes came church structure changes. In May of 1957 a major remodeling project costing $57,000 was completed. This gave the church an updated sanctuary, a new educational unit, a pastor's study, Sunday School rooms and two large assembly rooms. Additionally, the kitchen was remodeled and part of the cost bin was made into cupboard facilities.

Two additional major changes happened to provide the beautiful little church we enjoy and worship in today. During the 1970's the beautiful stained glass windows in our sanctuary were installed in memory of loved ones and to the Glory God. They are a hallmark of our faith community, reviving our souls, and dramatically contributing to our worship of God.

The second and last change occurred on August 28,1983, in recognition of Rev. Glenn McPherson's long service to the church (his 21 year pastorate was the longest in history of the church). The original church foyer was redesigned into a prayer chapel and named the McPherson Prayer Chapel, honoring the 50th anniversary of his ordination.

Throughout its 100 years of history, the faith community now called Pikes Peak United Methodist Church has lived through various denominational and name changes, building and renovation projects, and dramatic societal changes as well. And through it all, we have persisted in serving the Lord gladly, worshiping and loving God always, and loving our neighbor through many outreach programs. All the glory be to God for the first 100 years of our existence; may His glory shine forever through this faith community on the corner of Pikes Peak Avenue and 30th Street.